FIVB World League
Greater Wichita Area Sports Banquet featuring Goose Gossage
June 27, 2013
Wichita Wingnuts Games
Welcome to the Greater Wichita Area Sports Commission
We have compiled a listing of sporting events, attractions, tournaments and facility information which we hope you will find helpful and beneficial.
2013 Johnny Bench Award presented by BaseballSavings.com
May 16, 2013 - The Greater Wichita Area Sports Commission has announced the fifteen semifinalists for the 2013 Johnny Bench Award presented by BaseballSavings.com:
• Tyler Baker, Wichita State University;
• Corey Bass, University of North Florida;
• Garrett Custons, Air Force Academy;
• Blair DeBord, Kansas State University;
• Zane Evans, Georgia Tech;
• Chase Fowler, University of Southern Mississippi;
• Aramis Garcia, Florida International University;
• Mitchell Garver, University of New Mexico;
• Stephen McGee, Florida State University;
• Spencer Navin, Vanderbilt University;
• Jake Romanski, San Diego State University;
• Victor Romero, Oklahoma State University;
• Ronnie Shaeffer, UC Irvine;
• Stuart Turner, University of Mississippi and
• Matt Winn, Virginia Military Institute.
Ballots will be sent to the national voting panel at the end of May for a vote to determine the three finalists. The finalists will be announced June 4, 2013. A final vote among the national committee will occur during the College World Series. All finalists will be brought to Wichita and the winner will be announced at the 15th Annual Greater Wichita Sports Banquet on June 27, 2013.
FIVB World League Returns
COLORADO SPRINGS, Colo. (May 6, 2013) – USA Volleyball has announced its 22-player roster for the 2013 FIVB World League.
The World League is the premier annual men’s international volleyball tournament, where 18 teams from around the world compete over seven weeks of pool play in hopes of advancing to the Final Round on July 17-21 in Mar del Plata, Argentina and the chance to win $1 million.
Each weekend, 12 players from the 22-player roster will be selected to play in two World League matches.
John Speraw (Irvine, Calif.), first year head coach of the U.S. Men’s National volleyball Team, said he wants to put the focus on newer players early in the quadrennial leading up to the 2016 Olympic Games in Rio de Janeiro, Brazil
No. Name (Position, Height, Hometown, College)
1. Matt Anderson (OH, 6-10, West Seneca, N.Y., Penn State)
2. Jeff Menzel (OH, 6-6, Santa Barbara, Calif., UC Santa Barbara)
3. Evan Patak (Opp, 6-8, Pleasanton, Calif., UC Santa Barbara)
4. David Lee (MB, 6-8, Alpine, Calif., Long Beach State)
5. Rich Lambourne (L, 6-3, Tustin, Calif., BYU)
6. Paul Lotman (OH, 6-7, Lakewood, Calif., Long Beach State)
7. Kawika Shoji (S, 6-3, Honolulu, Hawaii, Stanford)
8. Kyle Caldwell (S, 6-9, Newport Beach, Calif., UCLA)
9. Murphy Troy (Opp, 6-8, St. Louis, Mo., USC)
10. Tony Ciarelli (OH, 6-6, Huntington Beach, Calif., USC)
11. Brian Thornton (S, 6-3, San Clemente, Calif., UC Irvine)
12. Russell Holmes (MB, 6-8, Fountain Valley, Calif., BYU)
13. Matt Rawson (MB, 6-7, Los Angeles, Hawaii)
14. Ryan Ammerman (S, 6-8, Parker, Colo., UC Irvine)
15. Carson Clark (Opp, 6-8, Santa Barbara, Calif., UC Irvine)
16. Jayson Jablonsky (OH, 6-5, Yorba Linda, Calif., UC Irvine)
17. Max Holt (MB, 6-9, Cincinnati, Ohio, Penn State)
18. Garrett Muagututia (OH, 6-5, Oceanside, Calif., UCLA)
19. Alfee Reft (L, 5-10, Oxnard, Calif., Hawaii)
20. David Smith (MB, 6-7, Saugus, Calif., UC Irvine)
21. Brad Lawson (OH, 6-7, Honolulu, Hawaii, Stanford)
22. Erik Shoji (L, 6-0, Honolulu, Hawaii, Stanford)
2013 Woody Austin Midwest Junior Golf Invitational
Hurry and sign up for the 6th Annual Woody Austin Midwest Junior Golf Invitiational. A large number of the top golfers in the area participated in last year’s tournament and this year promises to be one of the finest and most competitive junior golf tournaments in the Midwest.
May 27 - June 2 - Practice Round
Monday, June 3 - 1st Round
Tuesday, June 4 - 2nd Round
USBC Selects Wichita
The United States Bowling Congress has selected Wichita to host the 2019 USBC Women’s Championships. The Championships will take place from April to June 2019, which also marks the 100th anniversary for the event.
A partnership among the City of Wichita, Go Wichita CVB, Great Plains USBC Association and the Greater Wichita Area Sports Commission sent a delegation to Arlington, TX in January to formally bid on the event.
The tournament will generate an estimated $14 million in economic impact for Wichita and south-central Kansas.