Park City-Wrestling Classic
Prairie Fire Spring Half Marathon
Johnny Bench Award
Welcome to the Greater Wichita Area Sports Commission
We have compiled a listing of sporting events, attractions, tournaments and facility information which we hope you will find helpful and beneficial.
Air Capital Classic Returns
October 15, 2013 - Wichita golf fans received some great news today when it was announced that the Air Capital Classic and PGA TOUR had reached an agreement to extend the PGA TOUR cosponsored tournament for three more years.
Twenty-two companies signed on with two-year commitments to become Ambassadors, generating over $300,000 in reveunue for the tournament and Aetna has agreed to be the tournament's presenting sponsor.
The 2014 Air Capital Classic presented by Aetna will be played in June at Crestview Country Club.
This Week's Events
Thursday, December 5
Thunder vs. Missouri
NU Women vs.Texas A&M International
Friends Men & Women vs. Ottawa
Friday, December 6
WSU Track Intrasquad Meet
Saturday, December 7
Thunder vs. Tulsa
B52's vs. Dallas
WSU Men vs. ORU
NU Women vs.St. Mary's
Friends Men vs. Southwestern College
Thursday, December 12
WSU Women vs. Arkansas St.
Friends Men & Women vs. University of St. Mary
Saturday, December 14
B52's vs. Tulsa
WSU Men vs. Tennessee @ INTRUST Bank Arena
Sunday, December 15
NU Wrestling Jet Invitational
16th Annual Greater Wichita Sports Banquet
Watch Stuart Turner talk about the Johnny Bench Award at FanFest during MLB All-Star Week!
It was an evening of celebration at the 16th Annual Greater Wichita Sports Banquet as local awards were handed out in various categories. The event concluded with Johnny Bench, former Cincinnati Reds catcher and Hall of Famer, as he presented the Johnny Bench Award presented by BaseballSavings.com to the Ole Miss catcher, Stuart Turner. Mitchell Garver of the University of New Mexico and Zane Evans of Georgia Tech University were also finalists for the award. The annual banquet recognizes the achievements and dedication of local youth, high school, college and professional athletes and coaches. The winners were:
• Connor Frankamp, Wichita North High School – Barry Sanders High School Male Athlete of the Year
• Evan Stamp, Andover Central High School – Lynette Woodard High School Female Athlete of the Year
• Malcolm Armstead, Wichita State University – College Male Athlete of the Year
• Aliphine Tuliamuk-Bolton, Wichita State University – College Female Athlete of the Year
• Matt Moss, Wichita Wild – Professional Athlete of the Year
• Antwain Scales, Wichita South – High School Coach of the Year (Women’s Sports)
• Joe Alan Schuckman, Bishop Carroll High School – High School Coach of the Year (Men’s Sports)
• Mark Potter, Newman University – Coach of the Year • Wichita Wild – Award of Success
• Ed Hargrove, Cowley College Softball – Award of Success
• Wichita State University Athletics – Award of Excellence
• Stuart Turner, Ole Miss – Johnny Bench National Collegiate Catcher of the Year
“The Greater Wichita Area Sports Commission would like to congratulate all of the award finalists and especially Stuart Turner, the Johnny Bench National Collegiate Catcher of the Year,” stated Bob Hanson, president/CEO. “They represent their teams and universities in a remarkable manner.” “We are very appreciative of the time and energy Johnny Bench has demonstrated in making this award a huge success. He has set a high standard for these young men to strive toward,” said Hanson.
Keynote speaker Goose Gossage entertained the crowd with stories of his time as a MLB pitcher, while delivering an inspirational message, and advice, that you can't let what happened to you yesterday effect what you need to do today.
2013 Woody Austin Midwest Junior Golf Invitational
Congratulations to Makena Mucciaccio, Taryn Torgerson, Jared Burns and Carter Towey on winning 1st place in their age groups at the 2013 Woody Austin Midwest Junior Golf Invitational on Tuesday afternoon at Tallgrass Country Club. The full list of final results are below.